I’ve mentioned here before that the Metropolitan Museum of Art is making out-of-print publications available online. They keep adding nifty new things, and are up to 371. There’s something there for everyone, from armor to Chinese painting and modern art.
But for you, my stringy friends, here are some of the most relevant:
- Textiles of Late Antiquity
Stauffer, Annemarie, with essays by Marsha Hill, Helen C. Evans, and Daniel Walker (1995)
- History of Russian Costume from the Eleventh to the Twentieth Century
Alyoshina, T. S., I. I. Vishnevskaya, L. V. Efimova, T. T. Korshunova, V. A. Malm, E. Yu. Moiseenko, M. M. Postnokova-Loseva, and E. P. Chernukha (1977)
- Early Indonesian Textiles from Three Island Cultures
Holmgren, Robert J., and Anita Spertus (1989)
- Cochineal Red: The Art History of a Color
Phipps, Elena (2010)
- Ancient Peruvian Mantles, 300 B.C.–A.D. 200
Frame, Mary (1995)
I didn’t include anything on tapestry, of which there are several, or most of the costume books, or, well, you can browse yourself.